The packetlogger suite (v20090607) can be downloaded here. It still requires a Lawicel CANUSB device to sniff new data from the NMEA 2000 bus, but it is now split into two parts: the actual "sniffer" called canreader.exe that talks to the bus, and a separate analyzer called analyzer.exe.
Both programs operate in UNIX filter style; canreader can only log CAN data to stdout. It runs until a line is entered on stdin. analyzer reads stdin and write analyzed output to stdout.
Analyzer can run without a CANusb present. Without raw N2K log files though the only thing it can do is show what NMEA PGNs and fields therein the program understands.
Here are some typical usage examples:
analyze -explain # Show what PGNs are understood by the program
canreader | analyzer # read data and analyze immediately
canreader > rawnmea.log # write data that can be analyzed at a later date
cat rawnmea.log | analyze -raw -data # interpret file later date, show three stages of interpreted data
cat rawnmea.log | analyze 129038 # focus on single PGN
Here is a link to the output of analyze -explain that shows the current list of supported PGNs.
PGNs that have improved in this release:
- 127505 - Fluid Level (now complete)
- 129038 - AIS Class A Position Report (now usable)
- 129283 - Cross Track Error (one field left to explain)
- 129794 - AIS Class A Static and Voyage Related Data (now usable, ETA still wrong)
- 130836 - Simnet: Configure? (understands EP65R configuration data)